Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Vote for Best Month ---> October

Since returning from Burning Man, my life has consisted of a series of chaotic events. I just can't seem to get back in the swing of things hence the lack of blog posts. I've been sick not once but twice since coming back (I swear I'm not of weak constitution); I STILL have not put away my playa gear (for those of you who know how obsessive I am about cleaning my apartment, you understand how shocking this is); and yesterday I spaced on Caltrain when attempting to visit my friend in San Carlos.

Let me point out that the Caltrain episode was no small public transpo blunder either, as it resulted in winding up in San Jose unable to get a northbound train for an hour and a half leaving me no choice but to eat at the Costco cafe, which is pretty much my worst nightmare. Luckily, I received timely council over the phone instructing me to avoid the salad option at all costs in favor of the mystery pizza. Had I not received this direction, who knows what would have ensued. Anything is possible at this point. Oh, did I mention there's a real, live security guard warding over my office this month? It's a long story involving a forced job "departure" of a former colleague, some shady emails and a long history of military war reenactment. All true.

The good news is that I'm going to chalk it all up to September, which luckily ends on Sunday. And then, it's October, the best month of the year as far as I'm concerned. OK fine, so in SF the leaves don't change colors, I can't go to the apple farm with my dad, and there aren't many occasions for one to bundle up in one's new, snugly fall sweater. BUT we WILL get the ever-anticipated, break-out-your-sandals, best-EVER Indian summer (um, are we still allowed to call it that?). Aaaaand Golden Gate park is set to host the annual bluegrass festival where Hot Buttered Rum will be playing again this year (hooray!). And it wouldn't be fall in SF if cafes across the city didn't start rocking pumpkin spice lattes.

So good people of SF, put on your favorite shades, smell that nutmeg in your coffee at the nearest hipster coffee shop and pack away your summer long underwear. October is almost here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very simple blog, but probably the one that I most
identify with. I in no way believe in astrology or
anything like that, but october is absolutely my most
favorite month of the year. I like the smell of the
leaves and the distant sound of leaf blowers
(strangely chicken and egg that).

Anonymous said...

I really think that
the northeast is unrivaled in terms of the quality of
its fall. You'd get something vaguely similiar in
england, but it really paled in comparision. And don't
even get me started on fall in fresno. The highlight
there was the "Witch Burning" where they, rather sadly
but totally in character, actually burned an older
woman who they 'deemed to be an idolater, an apostate,
a democrat, and a leftie.' And who says fresno is full
of ignorant bible-thumpers?

Anonymous said...

It has been in the 80's here so you're not missing any fun autumn weather.

-Kyle